Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"Why Everything's As If We Never Said 'Goodbye' ... "

When I got out of blogging, about a year ago, I thought it was for good. I really did. The pressure to write, the tasks in the parish, my work of discernment all suggested it was time to close up shop. When people would ask if I would ever go back to blogging, my response was adamant, "No. That's done." So, what I am doing back here? That's complicated.

As time has progressed, I have come to understand that I have something unique, or I'd like to believe was unique, to offer to the blogging world. As a Catholic priest, I am pretty culturely aware with a healthy, if not ravenous, appetite for television, movies, music, literature and the like. As much as I would like to say I can comment competently on things like politics, it really isn't my strong suit. But ask me about what I think the relevance of ultra violent movies might be, and you'll get something worth reading. So, here I am back at my laptop, rifling through the pages in my head, placing some of my meager ideas out for public consumption.

What should you expect from this blog? I have three things I want to talk about here. A.) I have a book coming out. I wanted to share with many folks all at once the trials and joys of bringing a book to print. B.) As I mentioned, I am a media junkie, and to the best of my ability, I want to share some Catholic perspective on our media culture. Please understand I don't necessarily speak for the Church Universal; these are just my whitterings. C.) I am the rector of a National Shrine. I wanted to use a modern mode to help spread devotion to the Infant Jesus of Prague. I will probably post infrequently but we'll shoot for weekly.

And that's it. If you found your way here from some helpful bloke or blokess who gave you the link, thank you for visiting. Also, I promise to explain more about the title of this blog later. It's a teaser. Otherwise, sit down and enjoy a hot cup of whatever there is to drink.

No comments: